Friday, April 21, 2017

Birding at Discovery Park, Seattle

After we decided to visit Seattle this year I started looking for best birding hot spots to visit in Seattle. And the first place that was recommended was Discovery park. Its close to the downtown and did not need lot of driving too. And the best part was it had different habitat for all sorts of birds.

Because of the continuous rain showers during the day I had to delay my walk for the day. I started my walk at around 10:30AM. It was still drizzling but I decided to try my luck with the showers. After a while it was raining on and off. Thankfully I did get some great birding done for the day. But I did not expect the trail to be hard. The trail is listed as medium but climbing all those stairs was a little tough but worth the effort :-)

I started the trail from the visitor center. The woods behind the visitor center was good. I saw Golden-crowned kinglet, Song Sparrow, Bushtits and Thrushes here. There were couple of Anna's hummingbird flying around too.

Hermit Thrush

Song Sparrow


Song Sparrow

Spotted Towhee

Orange-crowned Warbler

Bushtit

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Chestnut backed chickadee

Ruby-crowned Kinglet
From here I decided to head towards the lighthouse which was the place I was most interested to visit. In the waters here I saw Bonaparte's Gull, Glaucous-winged Gull, Mew Gull and few others. In the waters I saw a Common Goldeneye pair.



Common Goldeneye

Glaucous Winged Gull
The weather was good with a slight drizzle. Very good weather for a long stroll :-) In the shore waters I saw few Western Grebe, couple of Surf Scooter and lone Pelagic Cormorant. I also saw few Common Loons and Red-throated in the waters. There were also Red-breasted Merganser and Red-necked Grebes in the water along with Horned Grebes. I also had few Brant flying over couple of times. A lone Bald Eagle flew over me as well. Most of these birds I was watching them for the first time. I just took some record shots to help me with the ID's. Had a great birding walk but better weather would have helped me get some photographs of these birds.

Surf Scooter


Western Grebe

Common Loon

Red-necked Grebe

Brant

Bald Eagle

Horned Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Pelagic Cormorant

Red-breasted Merganser

Horned Grebe

Mallard

Double Crested Cormorant

Red-throated Loon

ebird :  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36044060

List of birds seen during the day.

1 Brant  
2 Canada Goose  
3 Mallard  
4 Surf Scoter  
5 Common Goldeneye  
6 Red-breasted Merganser  
7 Common Loon  
8 Horned Grebe  
9 Red-necked Grebe  
10 Eared Grebe  
11 Pelagic Cormorant  
12 Bald Eagle  
13 Red-tailed Hawk  
14 American Coot  
15 Bonaparte's Gull  
16 Mew Gull  
17 Herring Gull  
18 Glaucous-winged Gull  
19 Anna's Hummingbird  
20 Downy Woodpecker  
21 Northern Flicker  
22 Steller's Jay  
23 American Crow  
24 Tree Swallow  
25 Violet-green Swallow  
26 Black-capped Chickadee  
27 Chestnut-backed Chickadee  
28 Bushtit  
29 Brown Creeper  
30 Bewick's Wren  
31 Golden-crowned Kinglet  
32 Ruby-crowned Kinglet  
33 Hermit Thrush  
34 Orange-crowned Warbler  
35 Yellow-rumped Warbler  
36 Dark-eyed Junco  
37 Song Sparrow  
38 Spotted Towhee  
39 Red-winged Blackbird  
40Red-throated Loon  

No comments:

Post a Comment