Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Birding at Salineño WP and Santa Ana NWR

I had a great trip to Lower Rio Grande Valley last week and my first solo road trip. I had been planning to visit the valley since I moved to Texas back in 2014. I wanted to see the local specialties there and at last got to take some time off to do this trip. The plan was to see the valley specialties as well as cover the spring migration at South Padre Island and Corpus Christi.



After getting some inputs from different birders I finished planning my 5 days trip to the valley. The first day's plan was to visit Salineño Wildlife preserve and Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge. I was told the best chance to see the "Red-billed Pigeons" was to reach the Salineño WP early in the morning. I reached before dawn to see if I could find any nighthawks or owls before looking for the pigeons. Near the parking lot I saw nighthawk briefly before he flew off. While it was a little overcast I did not expect any rains and the weather forecast showed the same. But there was sudden thunderstorms with some mini sized hail as well. But it was brief and stopped within 10 minutes.

I heard some loud sounds coming from across the river and found it to be my first sighting of a "Plain Chachalaca", a big sized bird with different kind of loud calls. I should have done some home work with bird sounds before I embarked on this trip. We could hear birds all over the place and see them flying over the river. There were Egrets, Cormorants, Doves and Pigeons flying over. We had our first "Red-billed Pigeons" flying over us, it happened multiple times. I had some help with identifying some of the birds here, there was a small birding group looking for "Red-billed Pigeons".

It was great to see so many birds in the area. I got to see my first  "Grey Hawk" which was perched across the river. It was far but could see the bird clearly. Nearby tree had some "Northern Rough-winged Swallows" and "Bank Swallows" as well. I also saw my first "Bullock's Oriole", "Altamira Oriole" and "Audubon's Oriole". There was a "Cassin's Sparrow" calling nearby where I found "Song Sparrow", "Lark sparrow" and "Chipping Sparrow" as well. A "Lesser Goldfinch" also gave a brief appearance before flying away.

Long-billed Thrasher

Lark Sparrow

Record photograph of Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Record photograph of Grey Hawk

Bullock's Oriole

Cassin's Sparrow

Lesser Goldfinch

Lincoln Sparrow

Cassin's Sparrow

Mockingbird

Chipping Sparrow

Across the river I saw my first "Great Kiskadee", "Brown-crested Flycatcher", "Ash-throated Flycatcher" and "Ringed Kingfisher". And on the walk back to the parking lot we saw our first "Ladder-backed Woodpecker", "Gold-fronted Woodpecker" and "Long-billed Thrasher". The other birds I saw during the day were "Bewicks Wren", "Blue-grey Gnatcher" and the "Red-winged Blackbird's".

Bewicks Wren

Red-winged Blackbird

White-winged Dove

Blue-grey Gnatcher

Ash-throated flycatcher

At noon I headed towards Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge. It was about 90 minutes drive from Salineño WP. The refuge has couple of feeding spots where I saw lot of "White-winged Doves", "Plain Chachalaca's", "Red-winged Blackbird's", "Green Jay's" and "White-tipped Dove's". There were couple of "Buff-bellied Hummingbirds" visiting the feeders as well.

Green Jay

Plain Chachalaca


Buff-bellied Hummingbird
White-tipped Dove

After birding at the feeders I decided to walk the trails in the Refuge. I started on Willow trail where I was told "Tropical Parula" was singing near the bridge. I could not hear the Parula but I got to see some of the other local specialties here. I saw the "Olive Sparrow" and "Clay colored Thrush" during the walk where there were trees covered with Spanish moss . And another good sighting was of a "Common Nighthawk". I did get a brief look of the "Least Grebe" in the willow lake. It was a good trail to walk which had different habitats covered.

Common Nighthawk

Olive Sparrow

Carolina Wren

Tufted Titmouse

Blue-winged Teal

Clay-colored Thrush


Couch's Kingbird

Black-bellied Whistling Duck


Record photograph of Anhinga

To end an already eventful day I went for a drive on 10'th street in McAllen to try my luck with Green Parrots. I did get to see them near Lowe's where they were chased away by Blackbirds. I had 21 lifers for the day.

ebird
    Salineño WP : https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44582403
    Santa Ana NWR : https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44582592

Birds seen during the day :

Altamira Oriole 
American Coot 
Anhinga 
Ash-throated Flycatcher 
Baltimore Oriole 
Bank Swallow 
Bewick's Wren 
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 
Black-crested Titmouse 
Black-necked Stilt 
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 
Blue-winged Teal 
Brown-crested Flycatcher 
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 
Bullock's Oriole 
Carolina Wren 
Cassin's Sparrow 
Clay-colored Thrush 
Common Gallinule 
Common Ground-Dove 
Common Nighthawk 
Couch's Kingbird 
Curve-billed Thrasher 
Fulvous Whistling-Duck 
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 
Gray Hawk 
Great Blue Heron 
Great Egret 
Great Kiskadee 
Great-tailed Grackle 
Green Jay 
Indigo Bunting 
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 
Lark Sparrow 
Least Grebe 
Lesser Goldfinch 
Long-billed Dowitcher 
Long-billed Thrasher 
Mottled Duck 
Mourning Dove 
Neotropic Cormorant 
Northern Cardinal 
Northern Mockingbird 
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 
Northern Shoveler 
Olive Sparrow 
Plain Chachalaca 
Red-billed Pigeon 
Red-winged Blackbird 
Ringed Kingfisher 
Tropical/Couch's Kingbird 
Turkey Vulture 
White-faced Ibis 
White-tipped Dove 
White-winged Dove 

No comments:

Post a Comment