Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Arizona Birding - Day6 and Day 7 at Cochise Wilcox, Mt.Lemmon and Boyce Thompson Arboretum

On Day6 I started early and headed towards Cochise Wilcox. I had reports that it was easy to find the Scaled Quail here near the lake. Also another bird that I wanted to see were the Horned Larks and Red-necked Phalarope which were being reported here. 

I did manage to reach the lake very early in the morning. There is a house right before the lake. I saw some quail sized birds moving behind the house. This got me excited. Waited here for a while to see if the birds will come near the road to get a better look at these birds. And voila in few minutes a group of 6 Scaled Quails made it to the fence of the house. They did not look very shy. I kept my distance but I was still surprise that they tolerated human presence. Spent some time here and got some pictures. After this I started driving around the lake looking for the Red-necked Phalarope. There were reports of the bird from the area but I did not find them instead there were lot of Wilson's Phalaropes. It was interesting to see their feeding pattern. The lake also had some American avocets and along with some ducks which were yet to migrate. I also saw a lone Spotted Sandpiper on the banks. 

Scaled Quail



Cinnamon Teal

American Avocet

Spotted Sandpiper

Mexican Duck


After this I went to Mount Lemmon looking for the Red-faced Warbler, Pygmy Nuthatch and the Mountain Chickadee. The drive to the top of the mountain was really beautiful. It was amazing to see so many people biking the mountain which almost at the height of 9,000 feet. At the top of the mountain visited some of the common birding hot spots. I did end up finding the Red-faced Warbler and the Pygmy Nuthatch but could not find the Mountain Chickadee. I did get to see my first Hairy-woodpecker here. It is so similar to Downy but one can definitely make the difference in the size of its beak compared to Downy. The drive and the walks at the top of the mountain was really great. I did see some of the trees which were part of the wildfires few years back. Looked like a good place to visit during winter for some skiing :-)

Yellow-eyed Junco

Pygmy Nuthatch

Red-faced Warbler


Hairy Woodpecker

Stellar's Jay

After this I had time and went back to Madera Canyon to see if I can spend some night time here to look for Whip-poor-will. I spent sometime near the Santa Rita Lodge here looking for any new Hummingbirds. I did see the common Mountaingem, Broad-billed humming birds here. I was hoping to see Berryline here. But instead I got to see my first Hepatic Tanager here. Both male and female were present here. Occasionally coming to the feeders. 

Hepatic Tanager


Broad-billed Hummingbird

The next day was my travel day back home. But I had 3-4hours time to do some birding in Phoenix before heading to the airport. I still had some birds that I wanted to see before leaving Arizona. Hadn't seen Costa's Hummingbird and the Gilded Flicker. And if time permitted wanted to see some of the lovebirds which have made Arizona their home. Desert Botanical Garden is a very nice place which had great collection of plants spread across. It was very active in the morning. There were quite a few Hummingbirds buzzing around but I was still waiting to see the Costa's. I saw the Ash-throated Flycatcher, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher here. And then there was a Gilded Flicker drinking the nectar from one of the flowers on the Cactus plant. I was so happy to see one of the target birds here. Nearby saw a Gila Woodpecker as well. And there is a small spot which was dedicated for hummingbirds which had lot of flowering plants here. I saw couple of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds here. I was told Costa's visit this spot quite often. So I decided to wait here for a while since I had time. After about 30-45 minutes I saw a bird which had different colored Gorget. And it went and sat on a tree top showing off its beautiful purple Gorget. It was quite a colorful bird. I was very happy that I got to see both the birds that I had on my wish list here. Looking at the ebird I found a spot(Evelyn Hallman Park) close to the city where lovebirds were being reported. Here I spent 20 minutes within which I saw couple of Rosy-faced lovebirds which were hiding from the afternoon sun in a tree. It was time for me to head back to the airport.


Ash-throated Flycatcher

Black-tailed Gnatcatcher

Gilded Flicker

Broad-tailed Hummingbird

Costa's Hummingbird

Costa's Hummingbird


Phainopepla


Curve-billed Thrasher


Gila Woodpecker

Verdin


I had an amazing Arizona trip. One of the best birding trips ever. I managed to see most of the birds which I had in my wish list. I had 45 lifers during this trip. I realized why most of the birders recommended doing birding in SE Arizona. And the best place to look for Hummingbirds. And if I had postponed my trip by couple of weeks I would have had a chance to see Berryline and White-eared Hummingbird too which were reported from the sites I had visited during this trip.

ebird :

Cochise Wilcox : https://ebird.org/checklist/S88575024

Mt Lemmon : https://ebird.org/checklist/S88575087

Madera Canyon : https://ebird.org/checklist/S88575107

Desert Botanical Garden : https://ebird.org/checklist/S88598518

Birds seen during the 2 days :

  1. Lucifer Hummingbird
  2. Calliope Hummingbird
  3. Juniper Titmouse
  4. Cassin's Finch
  5. Dark-eyed Junco
  6. Pyrrhuloxia
  7. Rock Pigeon
  8. Band-tailed Pigeon
  9. Brown Creeper
  10. Lark Sparrow
  11. Elegant Trogon
  12. Gray Hawk
  13. Ladder-backed Woodpecker
  14. Black Phoebe
  15. Canyon Towhee
  16. Anna's Hummingbird
  17. Violet-crowned Hummingbird
  18. Black Vulture
  19. Vermilion Flycatcher
  20. Yellow-breasted Chat
  21. Vaux's Swift
  22. Dusky Flycatcher
  23. House Wren
  24. Lesser Goldfinch
  25. Orange-crowned Warbler
  26. Grace's Warbler
  27. Red-faced Warbler
  28. Rivoli's Hummingbird
  29. Arizona Woodpecker
  30. Bridled Titmouse
  31. Bewick's Wren
  32. Chipping Sparrow
  33. Yellow-eyed Junco
  34. Spotted Towhee
  35. Hooded Oriole
  36. Bronzed Cowbird
  37. Black-chinned Hummingbird
  38. Broad-tailed Hummingbird
  39. Gray Flycatcher
  40. Scott's Oriole
  41. Painted Redstart
  42. Wild Turkey
  43. Greater Pewee
  44. Say's Phoebe
  45. Dusky-capped Flycatcher
  46. Brown-crested Flycatcher
  47. Mexican Jay
  48. Black-throated Gray Warbler
  49. Blue-winged Teal
  50. Cinnamon Teal
  51. Northern Shoveler
  52. American Wigeon
  53. Mallard
  54. Gambel's Quail
  55. Pied-billed Grebe
  56. Sora
  57. Common Gallinule
  58. American Coot
  59. Double-crested Cormorant
  60. Green Heron
  61. Black-crowned Night-Heron
  62. Northern Flicker
  63. European Starling
  64. Northern Mockingbird
  65. House Finch
  66. Abert's Towhee
  67. Yellow-rumped Warbler
  68. Burrowing Owl
  69. Inca Dove
  70. White-winged Dove
  71. Mourning Dove
  72. Greater Roadrunner
  73. Broad-billed Hummingbird
  74. Spotted Sandpiper
  75. Turkey Vulture
  76. Harris's Hawk
  77. Swainson's Hawk
  78. Zone-tailed Hawk
  79. Red-tailed Hawk
  80. Red-naped Sapsucker
  81. Acorn Woodpecker
  82. Gila Woodpecker
  83. Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet
  84. Hammond's Flycatcher
  85. Ash-throated Flycatcher
  86. Cassin's Kingbird
  87. Western Kingbird
  88. Plumbeous Vireo
  89. Common Raven
  90. Verdin
  91. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
  92. White-breasted Nuthatch
  93. Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
  94. Cactus Wren
  95. Curve-billed Thrasher
  96. Hermit Thrush
  97. American Robin
  98. Phainopepla
  99. Pine Siskin
  100. Brewer's Sparrow
  101. Black-throated Sparrow
  102. White-crowned Sparrow
  103. Song Sparrow
  104. Green-tailed Towhee
  105. Bullock's Oriole
  106. Lucy's Warbler
  107. Yellow Warbler
  108. Townsend's Warbler
  109. Wilson's Warbler
  110. Summer Tanager
  111. Western Tanager
  112. Northern Cardinal
  113. Black-headed Grosbeak
  114. Lazuli Bunting
  115. Rosy-faced Lovebird
  116. Costa's Hummingbird
  117. Gilded Flicker
  118. Hepatic Tanager
  119. Pygmy Nuthatch
  120. Gadwall
  121. Mexican Duck
  122. Northern Pintail
  123. Ruddy Duck
  124. Scaled Quail
  125. American Avocet
  126. Wilson's Phalarope
  127. Great Blue Heron
  128. American Kestrel
  129. Chihuahuan Raven
  130. Mexican Chickadee
  131. Olive Warbler
  132. Blue-throated Mountain-gem
  133. Hairy Woodpecker
  134. Cassin's Vireo
  135. Steller's Jay


No comments:

Post a Comment