Thursday, July 5, 2012

Birding at Anjanapura Layout, Bangalore.

I started taking lot of interest in Bird Photography from last year. As most of us do, I started going to Lalbagh regularly in the mornings. But soon I realised it was a little too crowded for my liking.

While driving on the Kanakpura Road, I found few very good Birding areas. And one such area with very less human intervention which I found was partially developed "Anjanapura BDA layout". The entire layout had small bushes and trees everywhere. Some people come in the mornings for a walk. And during after 10 you will see lot of Real Estate people trying to sell the plots to the clients.

You could hear birds everywhere you go. I was fortunate enough to find this area. During my repeated visits I was able to photograph different kind of birds which are listed at the end. The area is roughly around 1-2 sqkm and the variety of birds that you could find over such a small area was amazing.

During one of the visits in February, I just stood in front of a tree which was filled with Rosy Starlings, Brahminy Starling, Drongo, Baya Weaver, Common Tailor Bird, Ashy Prinia... It was an amazing sight. I stood there taking photographs and after a while just dropped by camera and started enjoying these birds. They were very co-operative to other birds.

Now the BDA has done the inevitable thing by cutting down all the trees and shrubs in the area. It looks like a barren land. My usual spots where I could find enough birds are gone. I have to find a new area for birding again.

I will return to this area this winter to check if I can find these guys again.

Google Maps Co-Ordinates for the location : 12.856825,77.56485

Bird's spotted in the layout.

1. Green Bea Eater
2. Indian Bush Lark
3. Red Rumped Swallow
4. Spotted Dove
5. Laughing Dove
6. Black Shouldered Kite
7. Black Kite
8. Hoopoe
9. Egret
10. Greater Coucal
11. Grey Bellied Cuckoo
12. White Throated Fantil
13. Rosy Starling
14. Brahminy Starling
15. Drongo
16. Baya Weaver
17. Common Tailor Bird
18. Ashy Prinia
19. White Browed Wagtail
20. Plain Prinia
21. Yellow Eyed Babbler
22. Yellow Billed Babbler
23. Jungle Babbler
24. Scaly Breasted Munia
25. Long Tailed Shrike
26. Red Wattled Lapwing
27. Yellow Wattled Lapwing
28. Spotted Owl
29. Pied Bushchat
30. Indian Robin(Male, Female and one in breeding plumage)
31. Grey Wagtail
32. White Browed Wagtail
33. Bulbul
34. Parakeet
35. Pond Heron
36. White Throated Kingfisher
37. Asian Koel
38. Cinerous Tit
39. Blyth's reed warbler
40. Tickell's Flowerpecker
41. White Cheeked Barbet
42. Magpie Robin
43. Blue Tailed Bea eater
44. Grey Francolin
45. Barred Buttonquail
46. Tickell's Blue Flycatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment