Monday, September 5, 2016

Birding at John Bunker Sands Wetland Center

I have been planning to visit this Water treatment center which is also a great place for birding. The wetland/marsh eco system is amazing at this place. When I saw the field trip listed for this place in Fort Worth Audubon group I decided to join the group for the trip. Jim Jones was the field trip leader. It was amazing to listen to the information that Jim and others were providing during the trip. It's amazing the information that one can learn when attending any field trips. Thanks to the entire group.

The walk started at 7:30 in the morning. After visiting the center I saw there were lot of feeders which were attracting Ruby-throated humming birds.  We also saw lot of Ibises flying over and also hundreds of Red-winged blackbirds. In the water cells we saw little  Least Sandpiper, Black Necked Stilts, few White-faces Ibis, a lone Belted Kingfisher, Lesser Yellowlegs and a lone Greater Yellow leg. We also saw Little blue heron, Green heron and Great-blue Herons around.

Least Sandpiper

White-faced Juvenile

Belted Kingfisher

Black-necked Stilt

Green Heron
We also saw a lone Broad-winged Hawk and couple of Mississipi kites flying over us. There were few Turkey vultures and lone Black vulture flying over. In the adjacent woods we saw  Yellow Warbler, Eastern-wood pewee and another bird which we could not identify the bird.

Mississippi Kite



Yellow Warbler
It was getting hot and we decided to head back and try our luck with another trail which goes through woods. The other group which had taken the trail through woods had mentioned that there was not much activity in the there. Hence the walk was cancelled. It was already 11 and it was getting hot. Some of us stayed back. I just sat in front of a feeder to watch the Humming birds in action. There was a male humming bird which was guarding the feeder. Any other bird coming to the feeder were being chased off. It was interesting to see this action happening. Thanks to the folks at the Center for providing such a nice environment for us to enjoy the nature in its full.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird





As I still had time till 2, I decided to do a quick walk alone in the woods. Thanks to the people at the center, I got the trail map and they suggested a good route that I could try for the walk. As I started the walk, at the beginning of the walk I saw there was some movement in the tree. On close inspection I saw a Yellow-billed Cuckoo. This was my second sighting of this bird, the first one was at High Island during the sprint. I did get a very good looks of the bird in High Island but could not get a good photograph. But this time I got lucky. This bird was very still and waiting for me to leave. I just took couple of photographs and left him to complete his meal. It was good to see him. As I continued my walk I was hearing lot of activity and I was not disappointed. I saw a lone Baltimore Oriole, lot of Blue-gray Gnatchers, Cardinals and Pheobes. The other interesting bird were Yellow Warblers and 3 Black and White Warblers.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo








Blue-gray Gnatcher


Black and White Warbler
I also saw other birds which looked like flycatchers but need to get the ID's verified. The other interesting sighting was couple of Racoons which was my first sighting. I was photographing a Juvenile White-eyed Vireo and there were couple of Racoons that were getting down from the tree behind me. I just got lucky with the sighting :-) I was photographing some of the flycatchers when a Barred owl flew over my head. I guess I disturbed him, I never saw him around. This keeps happening with me :-( I always end up seeing the Owls when they flew away from me. And in rare cases when I see them perching on a tree/wireline, I will not be having a camera to photograph them :-). We also saw a Great-crested flycatcher, my first sighting of the season.

Racoon

White-eyed Vireo(Juve)


Great-crested Flycatcher

Downy Woodpecker
ebird : http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31421273

Birds seen during the day.

1 Blue-winged Teal  
2 Northern Shoveler  
3 cormorant sp.  
4 Great Blue Heron  
5 Snowy Egret  
6 Little Blue Heron  
7 Cattle Egret  
8 Green Heron  
9 White Ibis  
10 White-faced Ibis  
11 Black Vulture  
12 Turkey Vulture  
13 Mississippi Kite  
14 Broad-winged Hawk  
15 Red-tailed Hawk  
16 Black-necked Stilt  
17 Least Sandpiper  
18 Greater Yellowlegs  
19 Lesser Yellowlegs  
20 Yellow-billed Cuckoo  
21 Barred Owl  
22 Chimney Swift  
23 Ruby-throated Hummingbird  
24 Belted Kingfisher  
25 Downy Woodpecker  
26 Eastern Wood-Pewee  
27 Eastern Phoebe  
28 Great Crested Flycatcher  
29 Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  
30 Loggerhead Shrike  
31 White-eyed Vireo       Juvenile
32 Northern Rough-winged Swallow  
33 Barn Swallow  
34 Carolina Chickadee  
35 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  
36 American Robin  
37 Northern Mockingbird  
38 Black-and-white Warbler  
39 Yellow Warbler  
40 Northern Cardinal  
41 Red-winged Blackbird  
42 Great-tailed Grackle  
43 Baltimore Oriole  

2 comments:

  1. pictures are amazing, what camera and binoculars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Nikon D7100 and Tamron 150-600. And Nikon Monarch 5.

      Delete