Monday, September 12, 2016

Fall Migrants at Bob Woodruff Park

After a long time visited Bob Woodruff park to try my luck with fall migrants. It was a great day for birding. The weather was great for good long walk. There were few ducks in the pond and at the far end saw a bird flying away when it got spooked by the people taking walks. On closer inspection I saw it was a Green Heron. After this I went to the edge of the park where I saw there were some birds going in and out of the bushes. All I could see was some Yellow colored bird, I did not get good look of the bird. But along the walk I kept seeing more of these birds and saw there were Nashville and Wilson warblers at lot of the places. I also saw few Tenesse Warblers and a lone Black and White warbler. I wasn't expecting to see them in such good numbers. Even the Baltimore Orioles, I saw atleast 20 of these birds. They kept flying in batches. I mainly wanted to walk the wooded trails today morning but these warblers kept me busy the entire morning. It was really good to see so many of these birds in the morning.

Eastern Wood-pewee

Carolina Wren

Black and White Warbler

Bell's Vireo

Warbling Vireo


Northern Cardinal


Yellow Warbler

Baltimore Oriole
Warbling Vireo


Tennessee Warbler



Least Flycatcher







Blue-gray Gnatcher


Great-Crested Flycatcher



Wilson's Warbler





There were pheobe and other flycatchers around. I also saw a lone female Painted and Indigo Bunting. I'm still waiting to get a good photograph of a Painted Bunting. In the Wooded trail near the learning center I got to see Blue headed Vireo and a Red-eyed Vireo. There were lot of Carolina Wrens singing too. Saw a Cooper Hawk flying in and then leaving before I good get a decent photograph. I also saw lot of Juvenile Red-bellied Woodpeckers today.

Painted Bunting(Female)


Red-eyed Vireo

Indigo Bunting(Female)


Blue-headed Vireo

Red-bellied Woodpecker
On my return I took a break where one of birding friend had mentioned seeing a Olive-sided Flycatcher. I was hoping to get lucky hence settled down on one of the benches for a small break and just when I was thinking about this bird I saw some bird settling itself on top of the tree close by. And it indeed turned out to be Olive-sided flycatcher. Could not believe my luck :-) And with that I decided to call it a day for the walk. Amazing way to finish the day.

Olive-sided flycatcher
ebird : http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31532535

Birds seen during the day :

Mallard  
Great Blue Heron  
Snowy Egret  
Green Heron  
Turkey Vulture  
Cooper's Hawk  
Mourning Dove  
Barred Owl  
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  
Red-bellied Woodpecker  
Downy Woodpecker  
Olive-sided Flycatcher  
Eastern Wood-Pewee  
Eastern Phoebe  
Great Crested Flycatcher  
Western Kingbird  
Blue-headed Vireo  
Red-eyed Vireo  
Blue Jay  
American Crow  
Carolina Chickadee  
Tufted Titmouse  
Carolina Wren  
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  
Eastern Bluebird 
American Robin  
Black-and-white Warbler  
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler  
Yellow Warbler  
Wilsons Warbler  
Northern Cardinal  
Indigo Bunting  
Painted Bunting  
Great-tailed Grackle  
Baltimore Oriole
House Finch  

No comments:

Post a Comment